Sunday, October 28, 2007

Show's Over! We'll probably do this again in two years, but for now it's back to everyday life. This photo is of some of the hard working crew who helped set it all up, and our official banner- it looked nice hanging right in view as the visitors came through the door.



Every show you seem to collect a story or two to add to the archives. I noticed a little old man standing in front of this quilt, hissing like a tea kettle with irritation.

When I went over to talk to him he said hotly "But it's not REAL quilting is it? The machine does it all for you!", as if accusing me of cheating. I told him that I'd done it, and that it wasn't easy at all, but he wouldn't be convinced. "You just put the card in the machine, and the card does it all, YOU don't do the stitching!" I gave him a quick lesson on free-motion quilting and how it differed from the computerised machines, but he made a noise that sounded like "Tchtttt!" indicating disbelief and I could tell I hadn't gotten through. So I showed him the Kansas Dugout on the bed which is completely handstitched and quilted, but he didn't care for that either. You can't please them all!

For the record, this was quilted on a Janome 4000 with a 5" throat space.

There was also a display of wedding dresses at the local Anglican church, and we gave them Mum's dress. It was one of the oldest there, 63 years old in fact. We thought it was a good idea until it came time to iron it and make it look presentable, then we found that 63 year old creases don't want to come out easily! Two hours later we'd done the best we could, but I'll never let it get that scrumpled again.

Mum always hated this dress because it wasn't what she wanted. It was war-time Australia, and rationing was heavy in 1944. She got the last 5 yards of satin available, and it took all her coupons and some of her friends to obtain it. It was a soft cream instead of white, and there was no room for mistakes, so she took it to a dressmaker. Aunty Ethel was very inventive and pieced this together with funny little seams where you don't expect them and used every inch of fabric- it probably helped that Mum was a tiny little person with an 18" waist. The scallops around the neck are cut from the selvedge of the material, she must have just squeaked it in!

Look at the shine on that satin, it must have been beautiful quality, because it's still heavy and glossy.


The different styles of the dresses were fascinating, and some had been worn by both mothers and daughters, what a lovely tradition.

I think we did well for such a little town, there were two markets as well, and the antique shop had good sales- next time we'll make it even better!

7 comments:

Sweet P October 29, 2007  

Where did the old man learn about quilting? I think he needs another lesson or two. Those wedding dresses are gorgeous. I can't even imagine having an 18 inch waist. You mom looks gorgeous on her wedding day.

Mary Johnson October 29, 2007  

So that's what the banner was for! Sounds like a great show and I love the wedding dress display, what a neat idea.

loulee October 29, 2007  

There are some beautiful dresses there. Your story reminded me of my grandmothers wedding dress. Another wartime dress, it was made from parachute silk. Grandad was in the RAF and I think maybe a parachute went missing! It's nice that mothers and daughters wear the same dress. In the past I've been asked to cut up wedding dresses to make Christening robes which I think is a shame, but also a nice way of creating an heirloom.

Anonymous,  October 29, 2007  

What a beautiful story. All the quilts and Wedding dresses look gorgeous. I find men just like to tssk and winge so I would worry about him. Thanks for sharing all the photos.

Andrea October 30, 2007  

OK - I'll have one of those sewing machines that makes quilts like that without any effort - lol ! Honestly - some people !! Love the wedding dress idea. Your mum looked fantastic on her wedding day.

Helen October 30, 2007  

Looks like a pretty darn good quilt to me!

meggie October 31, 2007  

Modern times call for modern methods, & I cant see anything wrong with using the modern technology.
Since you can do both, you are certainly 'worthy'.!! Funny old fella.
Love the Wedding dress. I have my grandmother's. It is fine lawn, & she too had an 18" waist.

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP