Sunday, June 06, 2010

On Friday afternoon I had removed a large quilt from the frame and was pinning on the second one of the day when all the power went off. Some work was being done down the end of the road involving the local waterworks, the phone company and now electricity was turned off. I didn't even feel the slightest bit annoyed, instead Keryn and I got in the car and went for a drive. We couldn't use the computers, the phones, the longarm, the sewing machines, nothing. So off we went in the beautiful sunshine, on a backroad to a neighbouring town, and admired the clouds and green fields and didn't even feel a bit guilty.

This morning I got a call from Matt that he was starting a fire, and did we want to cook breakfast out at the park. That sounded pretty good too, so we grabbed our supplies and headed off.
There's something about toast cooked over the coals, it was absolutely delicious spread with real butter and Rose's Old English Marmalade. Then sausages and bacon, and a childhood favourite, Jaffles.
I don't know if anyone else in the world has these, or a version of them; we call them Jaffle Irons. I can't use them on my electric stove, they need gas flames or hot coals to work properly. We laid a piece of buttered bread on one side, cracked an egg onto it and then laid another piece of buttered bread on top. Into the coals, and five minutes later, perfection..
This particular jaffle iron is nearly sixty years old and still going strong, it's seen a lot of use over the years.

The dogs had a great breakfast too, there was a lot of very nice 'sitting' and perfect 'staying' going on. It's amazing how focussed they can be when there's food involved.
And Macca will not believe that he's too big to be a lap dog, he managed to cram himself onto each of us in turn.What a big boof he is!
I think Sunday morning breakfast at the park might become a regular thing, it was just what we needed to relax after all our work.

9 comments:

pdudgeon June 06, 2010  

never heard of a Jaffle iron before, but it certainly is a handy thing to have around! So glad that people around you two conspired together to give you some time out this weekend.
pam

Laura June 06, 2010  

What a fun outing! We called those Tonka irons and we used them to make dessert when camping. Butter two slices of bread like you did, but then put canned pie filling in the middle. Yummy!!!! I am now off to call my dad and see if he still has those irons...

Anonymous,  June 07, 2010  

I remember those irons from camping when I was a kid, though we called them roastie toasties and put pizza sauce, ham and cheese in them.

Karen S in Edmonton

Sue SA June 07, 2010  

Yum, jaffles were a Easter camping favorite as kids and then later when we had weekend camping trips with mates, except we had baked beans and cheese or ham and cheese combos. My mouth is watering now and I want marshmellows! There is something far superior about food cooked on an open fire. Glad you finally got some time out. Happy quilting Sue.

sewprimitive karen June 07, 2010  

That all sounds like fun and also tasty. Just look at those doggers all lined up and paying attention lol.

Anonymous,  June 09, 2010  

My son was given an old, old, well-used twin to your jaffle iron as a present when he was born. I can't tell you how many grilled cheese sandwiches we've made over the years - with or without onions and tomatoes. We didn't know any "official" name for the item, so it's always been "the grilled cheese sandwich maker."

Linda in NC

Meggie June 12, 2010  

My mother had a set of those Jaffle Irons, a double. We did not call them Jaffles, but Quicksie Irons. I loved the end product, and still use an aged electric version.
Macca is just a gorgeous Boof!!

Lori June 18, 2010  

I will keep my eye out. I found them on Amazon, and they are available in both round and square. I have a gas stove in my camper, and a nice fire ring outside. I would love to try one, the food looked good!

Jenni June 27, 2010  

Mum has one exactly the same, used on camping and boating trips all my childhood. Mainly it would be tinned spaghetti or cheese inside. She did use it on a gas cooktop as well as a fire.

Now the electric sandwich toaster is used in the house. Raisin bread and tinned apples with cinnamon is pretty good too, but cheese and onion is my fave, with tomato sauce of course!

Love those dogs!

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP