Sunday, July 08, 2012

Remember Keryn's Half and Half quilt, from 2009? This is such a simple block, a sort of split nine patch in construction. She sashed and rotated her blocks and they make a wonderful pattern across the quilt, full of movement.

I was testing her instructions and decided to set my blocks together in groups of four which is a more recognisable split nine patch.

  I loved making these, and they used up a power of scraps from the 2 1/2" strip bin. The resulting quilt was donated to the bushfire cause, and I've been meaning to make another one to use up more strips.

  However I began  playing around to see if I could simplify the block even further, and came up with this.
  I started off making the pointed ends using 2 1/2" squares, flippy corner style but I quickly tired of that. I admit flippy corners have their place, but I can't throw away the cut-off bits and I have buckets of them already, so I don't need more.

I found a way to use the Easy Angle to cut this block, and I'll post some photos tomorrow. Even though this started out as a quick scrap quilt, I've also been playing with settings for the blocks.
 They can be used in any configuration that the log cabin uses, and I think I'll have to make a heap more to try them all out. I'm so easily sidetracked it's not funny....

8 comments:

marilyn July 08, 2012  

I love this block! Yes, you are easily side tracked, but you do take the neatest paths and lead the rest of us right along with you. Thanks for the tour :)

Anonymous,  July 08, 2012  

Love that last layout ... congratulations!

Judy B

*karendianne. July 08, 2012  

That's incredible. I love the way you think, play! I needed to see this and I'm so glad I stopped in.

Tazzie July 08, 2012  

Love the block you created Mereth, you're so imaginative. You've inspired me, I can't wait to begin playing with my scraps again.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

antique quilter July 08, 2012  

OMG this is beautiful!!!!! LOVE this quilt
I love the last picture thats the setting I will go for.
I am in a quilting stand still right now, can't find the right project to get excited about.
for some reason I kept missing your blog posts so I added you to my sidebar. I always find inspiration visiting with you and your sister....
thanks for sharing all that you do , keep quilting and inspiring us all
Kathie

Leeanne July 08, 2012  

That is cool! I love the blocks & your setting looks great.

Sew Create It - Jane July 09, 2012  

What a fun block! It has so many possibilities! Can't wait to see more!!!

Colleen July 21, 2012  

I love your blocks. And I am most impressed that there is No waste.
I can't wait to try this. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful idea.

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP