Monday, May 19, 2014

 For some reason I just couldn't leave this top alone, and I ploughed on with the full border. Phew! what a lot of sewing and there were some more abandoned sections that were too dark for my taste.
 I've spent sooo much time on this, and the colours are really beginning to pall. But somehow I just couldn't bear the thought of packing it away unfinished, most unlike my normal attitude. I wanted the florals Gone, and so the cutting continued and eventually I had enough, after many more hours.

 The final push doing the corners was excrutiating, and I was heartily sick of the whole thing when I finished.
 There are two different corners in the border, with slightly different placements, and I laboured over the first one and then went to fit it to the rest of the top. Imagine my horror when it was all wrong! I'd just picked up the seam ripper to undo it all when a little voice said "Perhaps it's the Other corner..." and indeed it was. I'd rotated the top when I laid it out. I would have been furious if I'd undone it and then had to sew it together again, but fortunately the subconcious mind is sometimes on the ball.

 I think the border was well worth the extra effort, but it was hard work. I don't know how Bonnie does it, my top is a whole row shorter than hers, so she did even more sewing than this.


However, the florals Still aren't gone, merely depleted, so I'm cutting for a scrappy pieced backing. I have about 54 of the ninety 10" squares that I need, and if I piece the leftover blocks in I'll need even less. I'll sew the squares as leader-enders; a bit bigger than what I'm, used to, but eventually the backing will get done.  Even though I do love the finished top I'm so ready to move on to another project. Perhaps something brown and easily finished?

2 comments:

Mary Johnson May 20, 2014  

I'm not a big floral person but I think this looks great ... Old fashioned. I can see it with Baptist Fan quilting and while I bet the borders were a pain, they were worth the effort.

Sue SA May 20, 2014  

Great way to use up your florals, especially if you piece the back. Still it is frustrating when they are still not all gone! I love Bonnies quilts but never made a full size one, as they are too big and I run out of steam by the time I get half way through the top let alone tackling a pieced border, so I take my hat off to you!

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP