Sunday, March 27, 2016

 Finally my English Squares top is finished. You would think squares are the easiest pattern you could ever get, but I had to constantly evaluate this and take out fabrics that I really wanted to use and add a whole lot more neutral and lights to get the effect I wanted. I had a couple of tries to get the border squares the right size and cutting the centre medallion was scary because I only had a very limited amount of fabric.

Some tops I struggle to finish and then want to bundle them into a cupboard and not look at for at least six months, but I've left this up on the design wall at the workshop.  I like looking at it so much, and  I get a thrill when I think "It's done! At last!"

So many different fabrics, and some of them were tiny scraps that I could only get a couple of squares from. They were precious, and it seemed right that they should end up here.
The centre fabric in this photo was from the backing of the second or third quilt that Keryn made, back in the early eighties. I only had a few scraps of this- no doubt donated in one of Keryn's clearouts, and this top was a good place to finally sew it up. There are fabrics in here ranging from the fifties to some I bought last month, an amazing variety.
I'd like to say that it used up all the tub of fabric that I was working from, but alas there still seems to be quite a lot left over. Plus I have stacks of 3 1/2" squares that I cut for the border, before realising that they were too big and overwhelming, and 3" pieces were the way to go. I'm currently piecing them together into strips to go on the back of this, so they won't be wasted.

I hope everyone is having a Happy Easter with family and friends.  Isobel is old enough to really enjoy it this year- she was happy enough to sit next to this big bunny but when he picked her up she gave him such a fishy look..."Who ARE you?" She's not going to be won over by eggs and trinkets...


6 comments:

Karen March 27, 2016  

Lovely soft colors. I think your center focus fabric is one I have a bit of left in stash. I did not use it for such a grand quilt as yours.

Tanya March 27, 2016  

Beautiful quilt great work ☺

Sue SA March 28, 2016  

A great finish, very appropriate to have some bigger squares pieced into the backing. Very impressed your GD didnt cry when you see the size of Easter bunny compared to her!

Dineke March 28, 2016  

What a great quilt top. I really love to follow your blog and see your projects.

Gypsy Quilter March 29, 2016  

Simply gorgeous quilt. Thank you for sharing.

Kleine Vingers March 31, 2016  

What a lovely quilt! Greetings

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP